Photo Courtesy of johnwiechecki on Flickr
“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou, Author
Making others feel good is not just a nice thing to do, but it makes you feel good too. Showing your employees and coworkers that you appreciate them inspires motivation and improves morale and productivity within a company. Giving worthwhile recognition is not dependent on the amount of money you spend, recognition is about sincerely appreciating the hard work others do and really meaning it when you say “thank you”. You can’t put a price on memories.
Here are a few Low Cost Recognition Ideas, as well as a Recognition Playlist to get you inspired and spreading the love.
1. Greet employees every morning, reinforcing the message “I’m glad you’re here.” It may sound corny, but that’s okay – your job isn’t to win popularity contests, its to make your employees and coworkers feel special.
2. Organize a department-wide water-gun fight in the parking lot in their honor. It’s unusual, it’s fun, employees will remember it for a long time. Super soakers for employees, tiny water guns for managers – think about it.
3. Let them park in your parking space for a week. Often times, it’s the little things that make people feel special. Don’t have a parking space? Buy them a weekly pass at a nearby garage.
4. Put together a scrapbook of memories for an employee who is celebrating a milestone anniversary. Give each person on the team a blank page to fill out with stories or pictures of their experiences with that employee. Then, after the public recognition moment, the individual has not only a treasured award from the company but something from their coworkers that captures their feelings.
5. Create a homemade fun award that is appropriate to what is being recognized. MeritShare provides a fun way to give out virtual awards to your employees and peers that can be humorous yet meaningful. Customize an award to your company culture, make it fun for people to give and receive!
6. Gather co-workers to sing a light-hearted rendition of a song such as “You Light Up My Life,” “We Are the Champions,” etc. We put together an employee recognition playlist for you. If you do this, be sure to record it and put it on Youtube – then send us the link. Seriously.