At MeritShare, we’re always looking for new ways to help managers recognize their employees in a timely and meaningful manner. One of the common requests we hear from customers is that they need the occasional reminder and inspiration to recognize their staff. Managers today are busier than ever and employee recognition sometimes gets dropped to the end of the priority list. When you do have time to recognize, its sometimes a challenge to come up with a great reason on the spot.
Today we found a great online guide from Texas A&M’s HR department on Ideas for Low-Cost/No-Cost Employee Recognition. We encourage you to check out the full list of 63 ideas on their website, but here are our ten favorite creative reasons to recognize your employees:
Ten Creative Employee Recognition Ideas from Texas A&M:
- Encourage and recognize staff who pursue continuing education.
- Establish a “Behind the Scenes” award specifically for those whose actions are not usually in the limelight.
- Have a recognition event/award created by a peer group that decides what they will give and why they will give it.
- If you have a department newsletter, publish a “kudos” column and ask for nominations throughout the department.
- Post a thank you note on an employee’s office door or cubicle.
- Publicly recognize the positive impact on operations of the solutions employees devise for problems.
- Recognize employees who actively serve the community.
- When you hear a positive remark about someone, repeat it to that person as soon as possible in person or electronically.
- Give a membership or subscription to a journal that relates to employee work.
- Find ways to reward department-specific performance.
If you’re looking for solutions to help with administering the employee recognition program at your office, consider MeritShare. We specialize in converting offline recognition programs (bulletin boards, monthly newsletters and company meetings) to online recognition programs (recognition communities, social sharing of awards and real-time notifications and nominations). We have a free version that teams can try out with no obligation, and a premium version that offers full employee recognition and employee engagement analytics for organization executives and admins for very reasonable rates.